Monday, April 17, 2006

Wishing My Friend In Maryland A Happy Birthday

Tomorrow, Tuesday April 18th , is the birthday of a special friend who lives in Maryland. She probably stopped counting which birthday it is, maybe 10 years ago, but only she knows for sure.

She is an Episcopal priest and a certified, bona fide, degreed counselor. She is good at what she does with both callings. But first and foremost, she is definitely and unquestionably a priest, and I believe she is an extraordinary one at that. I have read a good percentage of her sermons from the last few years; they are powerful, straightforward, pregnant with meaning and, to the 100th exponent, inspiring. I can only hope to write so well when my time comes to write a sermon!

I also believe that what sets her apart is --though I have not seen it myself--when she celebrates the Eucharist, she lives the one quote that has come to mean so much to her and exemplifies her spirituality and connectedness with Christ our Lord:

"A priest ought always to say Mass with this expectancy:
he ought to be prepared for the Host and everything to fall
away and Jesus Himself appear." [William of Glasshampton]

I know of only a handful of priests that I can honestly say this about, and Linda+ is one of them

I wish her the best birthday possible, with family and friends surrounding her in a joyous celebration of this blessed day. And I offer this heartfelt prayer as a gift to her:

God, our times are in your hand: Look with favor, we pray, on Linda+ as she begins another year. Grant that she may grow in wisdom and grace, and strengthen her trust in your goodness all the days of her life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does this friend know how blessed she is to have YOU as a friend?